Thursday, June 13, 2013

Zimmerman Jurors to be Sequestered

The judge in the Zimmerman murder trial has shifted course and has now decided to sequester the jurors. 

The Florida judge presiding over George Zimmerman's murder trial reversed herself today and announced that the jurors will be sequestered for the trial. 

"The parties have, both sides have, stipulated that this trial will last between two and four weeks," Judge Debra Nelson said. "Based upon that approximate stipulation, I will be sequestering the jury."
Earlier the judge had ruled that the six-member jury and four alternates would be anonymous, but declined to have them sequestered. 

In February 2012, Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman in Sanford, Fla., shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin after a confrontation in the dark. Zimmerman has said he shot the black teen, who he said had been acting "suspiciously," in self-defense.

 The racially charged case has attracted national attention.

Jurors are rarely sequestered, isolated by the court away from their families and their homes, for a second degree murder trial. But suspicious testimony by potential jurors this week has triggered fear of a tainted jury pool

ABC News: George Zimmerman Judge Orders Jury to Be Sequestered During Trial

For more background on this issue go here.

No comments: